Composting Promoted/Styrofoam Banned/Zero Waste Goal
Council Member Mary Cheh’s solid waste bills passed the full DC Council on July 14th. Mayor Gray is expected to sign the bills. Here are highlights.
“Sustainable DC Omnibus Act of 2013″
- Calls for a ban of the use of Styrofoam for food service businesses by January 1, 2016.
- Requires food service businesses to only use compostable or recyclable food service ware by January 1, 2017.
Major Zero Waste Provisions of the “Sustainable Solid Waste Management Amendment Act of 2014″
- Requires separation of waste into recyclables, compostables and trash.
- Requires the Executive to develop a zero waste plan that lays out the programs necessary to achieve Mayor Gray’s Sustainable DC goal of 80% waste diversion and clears the way for a Pay as You Throw (PAYT) system that can help increase the District’s waste diversion rate.
- Prioritizes reuse and recycling over landfilling and incineration.